Thursday, January 17, 2013

50 Shades of Poultry



 
 
It occurred to me last night, as I was tying the legs of this poor chicken, before I prepared it with garlic and other herbs, that I was glad it had led a good life.  I recently attended Wellness 101 at Hourglass Fitness & Wellness www.hourglassfitnessandwellness so I have become more aware of the food we purchase and prepare for our families.  This little hen was an organically raised free-range little lassie so it didn't contain antibiotics or hormones.  As J.J. Virgin says in her book "The Virgin Diet" "you are what you eat, ate."  So I am trying to be more aware of that.

But I did want to share this meal and the recipes I used because I and my family loved it. 

I prepared herb chicken from the good old Betty Crocker cookbook.  I used ghee instead of regular butter, fresh garlic and several herbs including sage, poultry seasoning, etc.  It took about 15 minutes to prep and then into the oven it went for about an hour and a half. 

For sides we had brown rice and green beans with mushrooms.  I steamed the green beans, then used Coconut oil (which is new for me and I love it) to saute the garlic and then added the sliced mushrooms.  Once the garlic and mushrooms were ready I added them to the green beans. Haricot verts would be yummy this way as well.








I am limiting my animal protein, but since we did have chicken last night, I wanted to make it as healthy as possible. It was delicious and I had enough for leftovers so I removed everything I could from the bone. I could use it for a healthy soup or on top of a salad.

If you would like the complete recipe for any of the foods in this meal, let me know and I will email them to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment